Snowplow mini install local in windown

When t run command “vagrant up”, the program run utill in picture and stop. How can i fix it?

Hi @Hoang_Khang ,

Welcome to Snowplow community !

Could you try again after replacing these lines with these lines:

/usr/local/go/bin/go get github.com/BurntSushi/toml
    /usr/local/go/bin/go get gopkg.in/pg.v5
    /usr/local/go/bin/go get github.com/trustelem/zxcvbn
    /usr/local/go/bin/go get golang.org/x/crypto/bcrypt

and share the error please ?

This is new error. :frowning:

Hi all,

Here’s how I addressed it:

This library requires Go 1.13 or newer;

I edited /vagrant/provisioning/roles/ansible-go/defaults/main.yml thusly:

go_tarball: "go1.13.15.linux-amd64.tar.gz"
go_tarball_checksum: "sha256:01cc3ddf6273900eba3e2bf311238828b7168b822bb57a9ccab4d7aa2acd6028"
go_version_target: "go version go1.13.15 linux/amd64"
set_go_path: true

(We can probably go higher but I didn’t want to risk introducing issues with other GO deps so, I figured going with the minimal required version is best for now.

• I added export GO111MODULE=on to /vagrant/provisioning/roles/ansible-go/files/go-bin.sh (because go get github.com/BurntSushi/toml@latest will fail with go: cannot use path@version syntax in GOPATH mode otherwise)

• I edited /vagrant/provisioning/roles/sp_mini_3_build_go_projects/tasks/main.yml and changed:

/usr/local/go/bin/go get github.com/BurntSushi/toml

to:

/usr/local/go/bin/go get github.com/BurntSushi/toml@latest

This made the sp_mini_3_build_go_projects tasks succeed.

Like I said, perhaps an upgrade to a more recent GO version should be considered…

If the official maintainers find this fix acceptable, I am happy to submit a pull request to the GitHub - snowplow/snowplow-mini: An easily-deployable, single-instance version of Snowplow repo.

Also, is there a reason for the do echo "$REPO"; sleep 1; done bit? In this case, it made ansible-playbook hang as it was stuck in an infinite loop but, regardless, I’m wondering as to the reason these loops were put there?

Cheers,

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer @Jesse_Portnoy ! We are actually working on next Mini release that will have quite some refactoring in it, e.g. apt install golang-go will be used instead of all these manual steps.

Like you I can’t find a reason for this.

Hi @BenB ,

Glad to hear you’re working on a new release:)

I have a few suggestions I’d like to share (perhaps you already considered these but there’s no harm in mentioning them):

• I absolutely agree that it would be best to obtain golang from an APT repo; I presume the reason you’ve taken the current route for deploying golang is because the version for the package in the official repo for Ubuntu 18.04 is 1.10, which is rather old. I’d recommend enabling the longsleep/golang-backports PPA repo:
# add-apt-repository ppa:longsleep/golang-backports
# apt-cache policy golang
golang:
  Installed: 2:1.10~4ubuntu1
  Candidate: 2:1.20~1longsleep1
  Version table:
     2:1.20~1longsleep1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/longsleep/golang-backports/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2:1.14-1longsleep1+bionic 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/longsleep/golang-backports/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
     2:1.13~1longsleep1+xenial 500
 *** 2:1.10~4ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This will give you a selection of several versions as the output denotes and would work well if you decide to upgrade to a different Ubuntu image.

• I noticed that there are quite a few literal references to /home/ubuntu in your Ansible files but that you have already thought of setting a variable for the prefix in provisioning/roles/common_vars.yml:

main_dir: “/home/ubuntu/snowplow”

I’d suggest using that rather than these hardcoded paths and perhaps also rename it to prefix to make it a bit easier to understand

• I know that this setup is only intended for dev/evaluation purposes but I think it would be nice to create a dedicated system user for the app (say snowplow) rather than use the default ubuntu one. This would allow one to use the Ansible playbook in other constellations and APT based distros (like Debian, my own choice) without having to make significant changes and would also contribute towards a better isolation of the app

Cheers,

2 Likes

I have replaced those lines but it doesn’t work. Please help us!!!

Hi @Jesse_Portnoy , I followed your advice, thank you!

Hi @hai_nam_hoang ,

I’m currently preparing next release on this branch. I’m still at the testing step no it might not all work well yet, but feel free to try it already.

Hi @BenB , I hope you can make a detailed video tutorial on how to install this. This is a homework assignment that my teacher assigned to me, and if I don’t complete it soon, I might die :frowning: .

In case you missed it, Snowplow Mini 0.17.0 has been released.

For sure that would be great! We’re thinking about ways to improve and simplify Mini, so for now we didn’t want to spend time to do this change yet.