Snowtype - community edition?

Hey all, I just had an unfortunate typo invalidate a series of events, and started looking at linting/a more streamlined type safety solution for generating tracking code.

Came across Snowtype, it looks fantastic! Do I understand it correctly that it’s only available for BDP (inferred from requiring SNOWPLOW_CONSOLE_API_KEY) and is not open source?

If so, I would love to contribute something to generate Typescript types from schemas for starters. Is that possible (given that it would be a new component probably and not work on an open issue/etc.)? Any suggestions welcome of course!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi Daria! You are correct that Snowtype is only available to BDP customers. Much of what the tool does requires access to the customer’s Console environment so it can generate smarter code, using the following concepts:

• Data Products
  • Event Specifications
  • Event-entity validation rules
  • Event property rules

You are welcome to work on a version of this (https://quicktype.io/ is a good starting point), however as per Snowplow’s license change, we are shifting more development efforts to commercial features and wouldn’t be able to contribute to an open-source version of this.

1 Like