Unexpected Error Conversion of Nil to String

I am starting to run the enrichment process and when I get to using the storage loader I get the following error. here is the error I get:
./snowplow-storage-loader --config config/config.yml
Unexpected error: no implicit conversion of nil into String
org/jruby/RubyFileTest.java:95:in directory?' org/jruby/RubyFileTest.java:87:indirectory?'
uri:classloader:/storage-loader/lib/snowplow-storage-loader/config.rb:88:in get_config' uri:classloader:/storage-loader/bin/snowplow-storage-loader:31:in'
org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:973:in load' uri:classloader:/META-INF/main.rb:1:in'
org/jruby/RubyKernel.java:955:in require' uri:classloader:/META-INF/main.rb:1:in(root)β€˜
uri:classloader:/META-INF/jruby.home/lib/ruby/stdlib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:1:in `’

Any help is greatly appreciated.

looks like you config.yml isn’t correct, could you post it here and please remove any credentials before if you post it.

2 Likes

Ok got past the nil issue but now when I run it there is no response:

./snowplow-emr-etl-runner --config config/config.yml --resolver config/iglu_resolver.json --enrichments enrichments
D, [2017-03-22T10:30:07.625000 #20718] DEBUG -- : Staging raw logs...

Here is my config file:

aws:
  # Credentials can be hardcoded or set in environment variables
  access_key_id: XXXXX
  secret_access_key: XXX
  s3:
    region: us-west-2
    buckets:
      assets: s3://snowplow-hosted-assets # DO NOT CHANGE unless you are hosting the jarfiles etc yourself in your own bucket
      jsonpath_assets: # If you have defined your own JSON Schemas, add the s3:// path to your own JSON Path files in your own bucket here
      log: s3://elasticbeanstalk-us-west-2-XXXXX/resources/environments/emrlog
      raw:
        in:                  # This is a YAML array of one or more in buckets - you MUST use hyphens before each entry in the array, as below
          - s3://elasticbeanstalk-us-west-2-XXXXX/resources/environments/logs/publish/e-cftpjpq6vh         # e.g. s3://my-old-collector-bucket
        processing: s3://XXXXX-etl/processing
        archive: s3://XXXXX-archive/raw    # e.g. s3://my-archive-bucket/raw
      enriched:
        good: s3://XXXXX-data/enriched/good       # e.g. s3://my-out-bucket/enriched/good
        bad: s3://XXXXX-data/enriched/bad        # e.g. s3://my-out-bucket/enriched/bad
        errors:      # Leave blank unless :continue_on_unexpected_error: set to true below
        archive: s3://XXXXX-data/enriched/archive    # Where to archive enriched events to, e.g. s3://my-archive-bucket/enriched
      shredded:
        good: s3://XXXXX-data/shredded/good       # e.g. s3://my-out-bucket/shredded/good
        bad: s3://XXXXX-data/shredded/bad        # e.g. s3://my-out-bucket/shredded/bad
        errors:      # Leave blank unless :continue_on_unexpected_error: set to true below
        archive: s3://XXXXX-data/shredded/archive    # Where to archive shredded events to, e.g. s3://my-archive-bucket/shredded
  emr:
    ami_version: 4.5.0
    region: us-west-2        # Always set this
    jobflow_role: EMR_EC2_DefaultRole # Created using $ aws emr create-default-roles
    service_role: EMR_DefaultRole     # Created using $ aws emr create-default-roles
    placement: us-west-2b     # Set this if not running in VPC. Leave blank otherwise
    ec2_subnet_id: ADD HERE # Set this if running in VPC. Leave blank otherwise
    ec2_key_name: XXXXX
    bootstrap: []           # Set this to specify custom boostrap actions. Leave empty otherwise
    software:
      hbase:                # Optional. To launch on cluster, provide version, "0.92.0", keep quotes. Leave empty otherwise.
      lingual:              # Optional. To launch on cluster, provide version, "1.1", keep quotes. Leave empty otherwise.
    # Adjust your Hadoop cluster below
    jobflow:
      master_instance_type: m1.medium
      core_instance_count: 2
      core_instance_type: m1.medium
      core_instance_ebs:    # Optional. Attach an EBS volume to each core instance.
        volume_size: 100    # Gigabytes
        volume_type: "gp2"
        volume_iops: 400    # Optional. Will only be used if volume_type is "io1"
        ebs_optimized: false # Optional. Will default to true
      task_instance_count: 0 # Increase to use spot instances
      task_instance_type: m1.medium
      task_instance_bid: 0.015 # In USD. Adjust bid, or leave blank for non-spot-priced (i.e. on-demand) task instances
    bootstrap_failure_tries: 3 # Number of times to attempt the job in the event of bootstrap failures
    additional_info:        # Optional JSON string for selecting additional features
collectors:
  format: clj-tomcat # For example: 'clj-tomcat' for the Clojure Collector, 'thrift' for Thrift records, 'tsv/com.amazon.aws.cloudfront/wd_access_log' for Cloudfront access logs or 'ndjson/urbanairship.connect/v1' for UrbanAirship Connect events
enrich:
  job_name: XXXXX ETL # Give your job a name
  versions:
    hadoop_enrich: 1.8.0 # Version of the Hadoop Enrichment process
    hadoop_shred: 0.10.0 # Version of the Hadoop Shredding process
    hadoop_elasticsearch: 0.1.0 # Version of the Hadoop to Elasticsearch copying process
  continue_on_unexpected_error: false # Set to 'true' (and set :out_errors: above) if you don't want any exceptions thrown from ETL
  output_compression: NONE # Compression only supported with Redshift, set to NONE if you have Postgres targets. Allowed formats: NONE, GZIP
storage:
  download:
    folder: downloads # Postgres-only config option. Where to store the downloaded files. Leave blank for Redshift
  targets:
    - name: "XXXXX"
      type: postgres
      host: 127.0.0.1 # Hostname of database server
      database: XXXXXetl # Name of database
      port: 5432 # Default Postgres port
      ssl_mode: disable # One of disable (default), require, verify-ca or verify-full
      table: atomic.events
      username: XXXXX
      password: XXXXX
      maxerror: # Not required for Postgres
      comprows: # Not required for Postgres
monitoring:
  tags: {} # Name-value pairs describing this job
  logging:
    level: DEBUG # You can optionally switch to INFO for production