Converting events (clicks, views) to time usage

Hi, is anyone aware of any available tools to convert or track usage by time instead of clicks or views? For example, I would like to understand the time spent viewing a page (in minutes), rather than the number of clicks of page views for that page.

Hi @AgustinM, our web dbt package will produce a page_views table for you that has both absolute time in seconds, and engaged time (based on page pings) for you if that would work for you? Web | Snowplow Documentation

1 Like

Hi @Ryan I think this is exactly what I was looking for. We’ll give this a try and let you know if it worked for us. Thank you!

Hi Ryan, follow-up questions: How is this handled for events from the mobile native trackers (Android, iOS)?
We do not have experience for mobile and found nothing about activity tracking in the docs. We would like to know how long a user was active per “page”.
Thanks!

@tziegler We don’t currently have an engaged (or even absolute I think) time for mobile as there are no “ping” events on mobile trackers. We have pings on our long term roadmap for mobile but it should be possible to calculate it already from subsequent screen view events combined with background/foreground events, although I’m not that experienced with mobile tracking.

We don’t currently have this as part of our mobile dbt package, but it could be a useful feature in the future, I’ll make a note of it and see if we can get it on our modelling roadmap.

1 Like